Today it was time for our usual hillwalk and we were going to get up towards Fananieran ridge and then continue onto Croaghainmoira down in Southern Wicklow beside the Glenmalure valley which is one of the longest glaciated valleys in Wicklow. But as it turned out we were facing some slight problems that made us change our initial plans a little bit.
It does not seem to be a problem here, right? But, the forecast were showing snow for today, and mainly on higher grounds. So before we stared out on our trek we decided to start our ascend at the south eastern side of Fananieran, and climb up to the “call” where we then could start our walk along the ridge, heading up towards the highest point.
It does not look to be a steep climb, but for some it was. I stayed in the back being a backsweeper looking after the slower walkers in our group. Guiding people can occasionally prove to be a challenge, and today I had to keep a close eye one one of the walkers that was struggling a little and was staying close by.
Once we reached the call an started our climb up towards the summit, the wind was roaring behind us. Luckily we had the wind in our backs and also the snow. I can tell you that walking in snow/blizzard is not very pleasant, the flurries feels like needles when hey hit your face.
Therefore wearing the proper gear/clothing is essential. I had my full winter gear in today, because when I left my house I was thinking that’s the only thing that will work today.
Was feeling a little like an Eskimo in this gear, but was warm and snug and the wind, snow and cold temps did not bother me that much. And I might be crazy but I love this, there is nothing that beat getting out in the mountains to connect with the wild nature.
Once we reached the summit we decided to take a different route back down instead of continuing up towards the second summit that we had planned to reach. But sometimes you have to make a decision out of safety of the group you’re responsible for. And there’s no point putting yourself and the group in danger if you don’t have to. We will make a new try again when the weather has calmed down.
Updates to follow. Have a good week!